Colorado, Montezuma County, Lewis
Jameson Ranch is a beautifully situated 173-acre equestrian and grazing property, fully fenced and cross-fenced with 100+ irrigated acres, open rolling meadows with many scattered Pinion, Juniper and Cedar trees. It has excellent water rights (100 shares of the Montezuma Valley Irrigation) and two good sized year-round ponds and a spring (livestock water only). It overlooks Narraguinnep Reservoir with expansive views of Mesa Verde, Sleeping Ute, and La Plata Mountains from most areas of the property, and the southern fence line borders 898 acres of Colorado State land. There is a custom 2,679 SF, 3 bedroom, 2 full-bath home with a separate 1,125 SF manger's house/trailer, tack house, large shop, hay barn, loafing shed, and riding arena. Fifty pair of cattle are kept on the property for about 5 months out of the year, May – September.
Location and Area
Jameson Ranch is a convenient 20 minutes from the town of Cortez on Road 23 just 2 miles off Highway 184, 30 minutes from Mancos and 60 minutes from Durango's historic downtown area. The ranch is at an elevation of approximately 7,700 ft. above sea level, with scenic views of Mesa Verde Mountains and Narraguinnep Reservoir, with over 300 days of sunshine each year. The McPhee Reservoir which is the second largest artificial body of water in Colorado is only 8 miles away from the ranch. Comfortable summer temperatures reach the 80s - low 90's, while the autumn days are clear and cool.
The Montezuma County area, which includes Mancos, Cortez and Dolores, has a population of approximately 30,000 and is the most southwestern of the 64 counties in the state of Colorado. Mesa Verde National Park, Canyon of the Ancients National Monument, Yucca House National Monument, and Hovenweep National Monument preserve hundreds of ancient American Indian structures, including the famous cliff dwellings, found in the county. Roughly 1/3 of the county is tribal land, 1/3 is federal land (administered by the National Park Service, the United States Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management), and 1/3 is private or state/county land. The La Plata County area, including Durango and Bayfield has a population of 45,000. La Plata County Airport runs daily commercial air service to Denver, Albuquerque, and Phoenix, with seasonal service to Houston and Dallas, and includes facilities for full service general aviation. Great Lakes Aviation serves the Cortez Municipal Airport.
The property is approximately 10 miles to Dolores, 65 miles to Telluride, 200 miles from Grand Junction, 189 miles from Albuquerque, 225 to Santa Fe, and 329 miles to Phoenix.
This property encompasses 173 acres of irrigated meadows. It supports up to 50 pair of cattle between June and September, along with a myriad of wildlife species. The property's perimeter is fenced, providing privacy and open grazing for horses or cattle. One of the other attributes of this property is that it may be a great candidate for a conservation easement. There are excellent water rights with 100 shares of Montezuma Valley Irrigation (MVI– roughly 1.25 cfs or approx. 807,840 gallons per day) off the U-Lateral Ditch. The water is typically available around April 15 and turns off around October 15th. Also, the property has two year-round ponds. Other ranch improvements include, a 300' x 125' Powder River Classic Roping Arena, metal barn, separate tack shed, hay barn and loafing shed. One 500-gallon buried propane tank serves the property, along with one above-ground 300-gallon propane tank.
General Home Features
- Built in 2006
- Tasteful red cedar siding with moss rock wainscoting
- Pro-panel roof
- ¾ wrap-around cedar deck with tongue and groove cedar overhang; wood bin storage
- Large cement patios outside master bedroom and breakfast nook off the back of the home have beautiful views of Narraguinnep Reservoir and Mesa Verde
- Solid alder doors throughout
- Double-paned, high-end windows
- Recessed lighting
- 4-6 person hot tub outside Master bedroom
- Open floor plan with abundant natural light throughout
- Single-level floor plan with 2,679 SF, 3 bedrooms, 2 full baths
- Floor to ceiling windows in living and dining rooms overlooking Narraguinnep
- Reservoir and Mesa Verde
- Vaulted ceilings
- 20"– 24" Douglas fir beams and supports
- Ceiling fans in most rooms
- Hand-hewn 200-year-old reclaimed barn wood floors and ceramic tile floors
- 2-car garage with cement floors
Gourmet Kitchen and Social Area
- U-shaped kitchen with Stainless steel appliances
- Ceramic tile floor
- Separate breakfast nook with door out to cement patio
- Built-in wine rack
- Oversized custom log seating bar with moss rock foundation
- Granite counter tops with beveled edges
- Double stainless steel sinks; burnished nickel fixtures
- Separate stainless steel vegetable sink
- Kitchen-aide double convection and conventional oven with microwave
- Professional series side-by-side fridge, stove and 5-burner gas stove with insert vent; overhead vent and light
- Professional series trash compactor, dishwasher
- Ample storage with pull out shelving; appliance garage; lazy Susan corners; deep-drawer pot storage
- Under-counter lighting
- Custom walk-in pantry
- Living Room
- Floor-to-ceiling moss rock, wood-burning fireplace with mantle and hearth
- Open to kitchen and dining
- Floor to ceiling windows with incredible views looking out to Mesa Verde Mountains and Narraguinnep Reservoir
- Multiple gabled ceilings
- Wall-mount flat screen TV
- Open to living room
Floor to ceiling windows with same views
- Granite counter tops with deep sink/wash basin; burnished nickel fixtures
Pedestal Whirlpool Duet washer/dryer
Cubbies for storage
Garage entry from laundry room
Master Suite and Bath
- Large sleeping area with glass door walk-out to hot tub
Wall-mount flat screen TV
Oversized windows with views out to Narraguinnep Reservoir and Mesa Verde Mountains
Granite counter tops with separate his and hers counters and sinks
Large walk-in granite shower with double shower heads
Large linen closet
Guest Room One
- Double door closets with built-in cubbies
Vaulted ceilings with lots of windows
Guest Bedroom Two
- Double door closets
Vaulted ceilings with lots of windows
- Granite tub/shower combo
Double sinks with granite counters
Linen closet in hallway
- Manager's House/Trailer; recently remodeled
- 1,125 SQ FT
- 3 BR, 2 bath
- Metal Shop - 51 x 21'
- Tack shed – 18' x 14'
- Hay shed – 30' x 40'
- Loafing shed 60' x 75' – 2 stalls and fenced paddock
- Old historic grainary
Wildlife and Recreation
Jameson Ranch has an ideal combination of irrigated pastures and wildlife habitat. The ranch is visited by migrating elk, mule deer, mountain lion, bobcat, coyote, and red tail hawks. Equine enthusiasts will find Jameson Ranch to be first-rate riding terrain. For boating and fishing, Narraguinnep Reservoir is within walking distance and McPhee Reservoir is only 8 miles away. Jackson Reservoir is approximately 35 minutes from the ranch, just outside of Mancos, CO. The Mancos, La Plata, Animas, Florida, Pine and San Juan Rivers are all within 40 minutes-to-2 hours of the ranch for exceptional fly-fishing.
For downhill skiing, Durango Mountain Resort is a 1.5 hr drive from the ranch. Cross-country skiing, snowshoeing and snow-mobiling are also available in the area and during the peak of the snow season, on the ranch. Summertime in the area is filled with opportunities for riding, hiking, fishing, boating, golfing and visiting Mesa Verde National Park and the Four Corners National Monument, along with the Durango to Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad. The Cortez parks offer a wide range of recreational opportunities, including picnic spots and sports fields. The Conquistador Golf Course in Cortez is a championship 18-hole golf course with sand traps, water hazards, practice driving range and putting green. Excellent golf can be found at the Conquistador Golf Course in Cortez, Pinion Hills in Farmington, NM and in Durango, CO at Dalton Ranch Golf Club, Hillcrest Community Club, the private Glacier Club (memberships available). The Cortez Municipal Aquatics Complex is open to the public seven days a week during the summer months, with a pool, climbing walls, and numerous amenities.
Offered at $1,750,000
This property is offered by Legacy Properties West Sotheby's International Realty, Tom Morse, Broker. All information provided by Legacy Properties West Sotheby's International Realty or their sales representatives in connection with this property was acquired from sources deemed reliable and is believed to be accurate and reliable, however, we do not warrant its accuracy or completeness. Legacy Properties West Sotheby's International Realty recommend that every item of interest to the purchaser (i.e. water laws, mineral laws, zoning, land use regulations, state, federal and private permits) be independently verified by the purchaser's attorney.