Sky Mountain Ranch
Colorado, La Plata County, Durango.
Gorgeous 72-acre North Animas Valley property with a lovely 2-bedroom guest cabin, large lake, Animas River and National Forest frontage, manicured grounds/gardens, paved roads, underground utilities, and complete privacy/security. This is a "One-of-a-kind" property with exceptional beauty and amenities.
Location and Area
Sky Mountain Ranch is a convenient fifteen minutes north of Durango, nestled at the base of the San Juan National Forest, at the end of the North Animas Valley. It is accessed off of County Road 250, through Celadon, a private gated community, and is entered through another private gate at the end of the development.
Durango is a town of rural mountain charm and character, and has many big city conveniences, including a state-of-the-art new hospital, many fine restaurants, hotels, shopping, a four-year college, golf courses, first class fly fishing, numerous outdoor hiking and biking trails, with endless activities for the outdoor sports enthusiast. There are 40 national and state parks within a day's drive. It is located 6,512 ft. above sea level, surrounded by scenic mountain views, and over 300 days of sunshine each year. Comfortable summer temperatures reach the upper 80s, while the autumn days are clear, cool and full of vibrant foliage colors. The crisp and sunny winter days often feature abundant, light powdery snow.
The La Plata County area that includes Durango and Bayfield has a population of 44,000. La Plata County Airport runs daily commercial air service to Denver, Phoenix, and Dallas with seasonal service to Houston, and includes facilities for full service general aviation. The property is 100 miles from Telluride, 170 miles from Grand Junction, 200 miles from Albuquerque and Santa Fe, about 300 miles from Denver and Colorado Springs and 450 miles from Phoenix.
- Paved driveway with coded entry security gate
- 72-acres (two legal parcels) with extensive gardens, picturesque landscaping and scenic views from every point on the property
- Excellent water rights provide irrigation for the lawns and gardens; includes 1/2 cfs from Bear Creek and 1 cfs from the Animas River
- Landscaped waterfall feature
- Large private stocked trout lake with boat dock, entertainment gazebo with covered dining area and gas barbeque
- Private path with stairs to Animas River fishing and swimming hole
- The landscape offers woodlands, lush meadows, overlook mountain benches and unique rock outcroppings, all accessible by private paved road
- Crystal clear mountain creek cascades down from the National forest under a bridge on the upper portion of the paved road and provides year-round fresh water to the lake
- Magnificent rock gorge where "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" jump scene was filmed traverses the west side of the property with the Animas River flowing through it
- 1,153 SF rock and timber guest cabin remodeled in 2011
- Large front covered deck with seating area with views to the river
- Large open light-filled kitchen/dining room with ceramic tile floors, functional Wilson pot belly stove, numerous Alder cabinets and drawers, granite tile counter tops, large stainless steel double-sink, GE microwave oven, Frigidaire stove top and oven, Whirlpool dishwasher and side-by-side refrigerator/freezer
- Comfortable and spacious living room with river rock wood-burning fireplace
- Two nice sized bedrooms with Alder trim/closet door and two opening windows
- Bathroom with vanity sink, toilet, and ceramic tile bath/shower
- Laundry room with separate side entry door, stainless steel sink, Alder cabinets, stack washer/dryer and utility closet with gas forced-air heating system and hot water heater
- Long side deck outside of laundry room with seating area and barbeque
Property Description Summary
It can't be stated enough that this is a "One-of-a-Kind" property with exceptional beauty and amenities. It is the last large acreage property in the North Animas Valley, with great privacy and security. The property is graced with a historic 1,153 SF rock cabin that has been beautifully remodeled as a guest cabin or as a temporary residence while you build your main residence. The grounds, as described above, are exquisite and pristine. To add to this majestic retreat there is amazing frontage along the Animas River, including where it comes out of the upper canyon into the Animas Valley. Additional recreational attributes include direct access to the National Forest, along with a myriad number of activities that can be pursued on site. To top it off, there are multiple building sites for constructing a lovely main residence or other cabins. Having two legal parcels provides added flexibility. If you're looking for one of the last "best places" in the Durango area, you've found it!
Wildlife and Recreation
The property has an ideal combination of wildlife habitat, manicured lawns and gardens in a very private setting. There is abundant wildlife, including: mule deer, elk, black bear, turkey and soaring raptors. This is a completely unspoiled property that is very private and secure. Consequently, it is more like a preserve for the game. The ranch's lake is stocked with trout, and fishing is excellent on the property's Animas River frontage.
For downhill skiing, Durango Mountain Resort is a short drive from the ranch, while Wolf Creek and Silverton Mountain Ski Areas are an hour-and-one-half away. Cross-country skiing, snowshoeing and snow-mobiling are also available throughout the area and on the ranch. Summertime is filled with opportunities for biking or horseback riding, hiking, rock climbing, fly-fishing, boating or canoeing on the property. Also, the Animas River provides great fly-fishing, kayaking, canoeing and rafting–it is a wonderful run from the ranch to Durango. There are many other things to do in the area, like visiting the local Durango to Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad, Mesa Verde National Park and the Four Corners National Monument.
Excellent golf can be found at Dalton Ranch Golf Club, Hillcrest Community Club, the private Glacier Club (memberships available), and a top-rated public course at Pinion Hills in Farmington, NM (approximately 50 miles).
$8,250,000 – By Appointment only
This property is offered by Legacy Properties West Sotheby's International Realty, LLC, Tom and Zach Morse, Brokers. All information provided by Legacy Properties West Sotheby's International Realty, LLC or its sales representatives in connection with this property was acquired from sources deemed reliable, however, we do not warrant its accuracy or completeness and any users of such information waive any claims related thereto. Legacy Properties West Sotheby's International Realty, LLC recommends that every item of interest to the purchaser (i.e. issues regarding title, water, minerals, survey, zoning, permits, land use regulations and other applicable laws, and any other issues) be independently verified by the purchaser's attorney.